Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hummingbirds.

Hummingbirds are glorious, tiny balls of excitement! They are so much fun to watch. After HOBY, I had Hummingbirds - The Benefit Show. I was very caught up in the craziness of HOBY before, during, and after. I really did very little to help plan this wonderful fundraiser, but I was so thankful to be apart of it!
I first met the man responsible for Hummingbirds, Christian Stargell, through Dayton Philharmonic Youth Orchestra, and he has turned out to be a wonderful, selfless, and generous friend. He took the initiative to plan everything! It truly exceeded all of my expectations! I look forward to working with him again in the future.
It was such a beautiful night! On June 24, at the Cannery Art and Design Center, about 200 people came together to raise money and awareness for ME/CFS, The Seedling Foundation in support of the arts program at Stivers School for the Arts, and to help Christian afford his summer music study in his pursuit of a professional music career.
I was beyond impressed with all the performers, artists, and supporters. The Stivers students and others who donated their talents really touched me. It meant so much that all these people were so willing to benefit others. Many had never met me in their life prior to the show, and they gave more than just their time that night- they truly gave me hope and inspiration! Awareness is so important to me. I feel we really made a difference that night. I'm only one of many who are dealing with this same disease, but I  doubt any other patient has the support like I do.
I had a blast. It was truly a very fun and enjoyable evening! It was physically and emotionally exhausting, but Hummingbirds is something I will never forget. Thank you for everyone who came out in support and for all of those who were involved.
I think hummingbirds are a great symbol for those dealing with this disease. Many were extremely active before falling ill, and like hummingbirds, they must fight to stay flying.

Hummingbird
Hummingbird, bird of beauty
Glorious green, purple, and yellow
You don't sing a lot, but you don't need to
Hummingbird, struggling to stay in the air
With all your might, Fight! Hummingbird, fight!
Little Hummingbird, You are the mightiest
You are like a cloud in the sky
But you are not alone, I am here
Drink the nectar of flowers, gain your strength, fly high!
Hummingbird, people stop and stare, they say, "Oh it's so beautiful"
Hummingbird, buzzing around, You are my focus
Christian Stargell

1 comment:

  1. Christian StargellJuly 1, 2011 at 10:48 PM

    You have been working so hard to get me to cry lately :) I honored to know you, and as much as this inspired you and gave you hope its truely you that inspires me so much, and I'm glad to have been in a position to what really wasnt enough for you. Much Love.

    PS - I no man yet! ;)

    ReplyDelete