Wednesday, June 1, 2011

South Park.

South Park can be an extremely annoying show. The other day, I turned on the TV, and it was on the channel. But I didn't change it... thankfully.
The episode was about one of the characters falling sick. He was very upset because his friends were living successful lives, and he felt he was being punished. He came to a conclusion that God could not exist if his life was so unfair. His Jewish parents immediately tried to show him how important faith is in times of struggle. They pushed how we must always be thankful, no matter what. They explained to him the book of Job I.
The story of Job was one that I was not very familiar with. I knew the scripture, "The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away", but I didn't know they were related. Job was a very blessed and righteous man. He had all the riches he could ever want! He always lived for God and he always gave thanks to Him. One day, Satan challenged God over Job's integrity. Satan reasoned the only reason Job was such a faithful man was because God protected him from harm. God then removed his protection, and Satan destroyed everything Job had. Job's bountiful livestock and servants were murdered, and his beautiful family died in a collapse of his giant mansion. All in one day. At the end of that day, Job didn't curse God like Satan had hoped for. He didn't even ask "why?". Instead, he shaved his head, stripped himself of his robe, and bowed down before God in worship. Job said, "Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return there. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; Blessed be the name of the Lord." (New Kings James Version)
I was in awe of Job and his faith. I know if that happened to me, I'd probably be a little upset. I was even more embarrassed that South Park taught me such an important lesson... I know that the book of Job, and the story of his unwavering faith and love for God is very inspiring for me! It just goes to show that God is always reaching out to us in ways we'd never expect. God has the best sense of humor ever.

1 comment:

  1. You never fail to amaze me with your unwavering faith! You've taught me so much(: love and prayers - Emma

    ReplyDelete